Updates and Improvements Part 3

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I think you're taking this way too seriously. The rep doesn't give you any features or advantages to anyone. The ratings are going to be moving a lot now, they've just been put in, people like playing with new toys. Rep systems are VERY common on forums and while there will be abuses, that is certainly no different than the I-Trader feedback and the posting system itself. An occasional abuse isn't a good reason to remove something. If it becomes more than occasional, then it may need a second look.

I have a nagging suspicion that some members didn't realize we can see who leaves feedback for who. Abuses will be addressed.

I thought ABR said he and the mods could see who votes...but I do like the idea of letting everyone see who votes, I see it work for other forums.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I'm sure it will also be used by people to identify posts they see as trolling.

That is what I thought it was for but I haven't had a chance to use it.

Is it to help people moderate the forum and posts?

If so saying that abuses will be addressed might dissuade some from using the system.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

If so saying that abuses will be addressed might dissuade some from using the system.

It is more of a way for new people to gauge who is who.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I thought ABR said he and the mods could see who votes...but I do like the idea of letting everyone see who votes, I see it work for other forums.

I like this idea also, but I think the reality is that there would be way too many people getting upset with each other, threads complaining about getting a negative vote, and users getting into spam wars with each other. To put it simply, I see that as a fast track to escalation of disputes.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Rule 6: Request approval for all advertising

Our forum is able to stay in existence thanks to the sale of advertising space. If you would like to advertise please contact a member of the moderating staff.

I am aware of "rule #6"
    Leave the moderating to the mods josh.
    It's been taken care of. Wait around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Regarding the like / dislike or helpful / not helpful topic: Why don't we let this ride and see how it actually is used? Lots of things *could* be used incorrectly or not for its best or even intended purpose, but that's not to say it *will* be used that way.

It has great potential, so why don't we see how it matures and the mods can keep an eye on it and shut it down if, in practice, the cons consistently outweigh the pros.

Hmm, you know you could replace a few words in the past several entries and it would be the exact discussion about gun control. Will we let a few bad apples ruin something that the majority of people use correctly and with conscientious thought?

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Why don't we let this ride and see how it actually is used? Lots of things *could* be used incorrectly or not for its best or even intended purpose, but that's not to say it *will* be used that way.

It has great potential, so why don't we see how it matures and the mods can keep an eye on it and shut it down if, in practice, the cons consistently outweigh the pros.

Hmm, you know you could replace a few words in the past several entries and it would be the exact discussion about gun control. Will we let a few bad apples ruin something that the majority of people use correctly and with conscientious thought?

ha_thumbsup.gif

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I like this idea also, but I think the reality is that there would be way too many people getting upset with each other, threads complaining about getting a negative vote, and users getting into spam wars with each other. To put it simply, I see that as a fast track to escalation of disputes.

I have a feeling the current system will garner the same result.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I am aware of "rule #6"
    Leave the moderating to the mods josh.
    It's been taken care of. Wait around.

I just think it'd be shitty to the advertisers if there's free competition, even to a lesser degree. If it's something that no paid sponsor offers, sure, but .. likeliness of that seems slim.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So the post rating system isn't a do you "like" or "dislike" a post, but rather it's is this post "helpful" or "not helpful"?
    It is a "helpful answers" addon that I modified. I didn't modify what is shown in the admin logs I can pull up. From a forum perspective, it is like liking something on Facebook. It allows people to express content or discontent for posts without actually having to call the person out.

I think you're taking this way too seriously. The rep doesn't give you any features or advantages to anyone. The ratings are going to be moving a lot now, they've just been put in, people like playing with new toys. Rep systems are VERY common on forums and while there will be abuses, that is certainly no different than the I-Trader feedback and the posting system itself. An occasional abuse isn't a good reason to remove something. If it becomes more than occasional, then it may need a second look.

I have a nagging suspicion that some members didn't realize we can see who leaves feedback for who. Abuses will be addressed.
    And toys can very easily be taken away from people.

Only admins can pull the logs. Mods do not have access to it.

I don't think saying that abuses will be addressed is going to dissuade people from using it. I can just simply take away people's ability to use the rating tool. So far though, only one person has seriously abused it. Other than that, most of the ratings seem to be fair.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    It is a "helpful answers" addon that I modified. I didn't modify what is shown in the admin logs I can pull up. From a forum perspective, it is like liking something on Facebook. It allows people to express content or discontent for posts without actually having to call the person out.

Only admins can pull the logs. Mods do not have access to it.

ok thx...what do you think about showing the names of the votes to everyone.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Not happening.

you don't think it would help regulate/prevent unwarranted down votes? Meaning, if a person has bad feelings towards another poster, instead of down voting in darkness they'll have to face the person they are down voting for no reason.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Y'all are way overthinking the reputation thing. It's a simple tool to help identify those who are helpful and those who are trolling or give out bad info. It's not to help moderate, that's what the report feature is for. Simply put, if you see a post that was helpful throw em a thumbs up. If you see a post that's harmful report it. The thumbs down would fall somewhere between "meh" and something worth reporting as a rule violation. Personally I don't imagine it being used that often.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Can we keep Jack from eating all the twinkies?

I think we should get hot women in the premium section. Jack can't get those.

So when the twinkies are gone we still have something and he has his twinkies.

I do like the helpful "ratings system"
    If it isn't abused it should work right. Letting new people know who says stupid **** and who doesn't. "Theoretically"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom