What are your religious beliefs?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What are you?

• Roman Catholic

Votes: 46 41.1%
    • Eastern Orthodoxy

Votes: 1 0.9%
    • Baptist

Votes: 25 22.3%
    • Reformed Baptist

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Presbyterian

Votes: 2 1.8%
    • Pentecostal/AoG

Votes: 9 8.0%
    • Non-Denom

Votes: 22 19.6%
    • Methodist

Votes: 3 2.7%
    • SDA

Votes: 1 0.9%
    • Lutheran

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    as I refute these points that are supposedly made.

Wait you've refuted something here? All I've seen is a difference of interpretation. Of course for some reason you’re posting as if your interpretation is indeed the absolute one. Never mind the past 2000 years of theologians who think different. I mean you've just refuted them all......... :D

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Deuteronomy 18:15 is fine. The listed interpretation is not. Jesus is after the age of prophecy. Please see above.

Not going to read John and/or acts because, obviously, duh....

Isaiah 61:1-2 refers to an anointed, which just means to have oil placed upon your head. Not a sign of being a diety. Please read my earlier posts for explanation.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Aren't there literally thousands of different versions and translations of the Bible? If you're micromanaging your beliefs down to the level of nit-picky arguing about which verse of which translation is "right", you're kind of missing the whole point. Look at the big picture, focus on the functional aspects and stop worrying about the stories.

I suppose that is part of the frustration. At what "level" do you step back and just say "Okay, I'm close enough, lets stick with this because it works"?

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Wait you've refuted something here? All I've seen is a difference of interpretation. Of course for some reason you’re posting as if your interpretation is indeed the absolute one. Never mind the past 2000 years of theologians who think different. I mean you've just refuted them all......... :D

Listen, i can show you how each passage from the Tanakh that is listed as support of Jesus is mis-translated, or taken completely of of context, but it obviously will never mean anything to you. I have shown you scripture where it says that the word of God cannot be added to or taken from, and yet you will ignore the Tanakh for your New Testament. You will say that Jesus made it invalid, even though that is a direct contradiction to scripture.

Your argument has done nothing but confirm what i feel. I have read your website (to a degree) and see that it is smoke and mirrors. Have you picked up a Tanakh and read for yourself? Why trust a Bible that has been through untold revisions when you can read the word of God just as it was handed down on Sinai?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Listen, i can show you how each passage from the Tanakh that is listed as support of Jesus is mis-translated, or taken completely of of context, but it obviously will never mean anything to you.

Sutton your not special, it's YOUR opinion on what it means to you. That doesn’t make it the Truth. You just hope it is.

I have shown you scripture where it says that the word of God cannot be added to or taken from, and yet you will ignore the Tanakh for your New Testament. You will say that Jesus made it invalid, even though that is a direct contradiction to scripture.

I've never once said that. I said that the 2 Commandments that Jesus gave, that if obeyed would indeed never lead you to disobey the first 10.

Your argument has done nothing but confirm what i feel.

As if one would except his worldview to change over an internet exchange. All you've done is repeat what you already think is correct. So of course it only deepens your belief.

yamaha0343

Glock > XD
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    Simplest way to put it...incapable of blind faith but open for proof.

I believe in a higher power. I also believe in science. I don't believe they are mutually exclusive. I was raised very religious, and over the years met, watched and interacted with some of the worst humans and biggest hipocrites on this planet. I realized whatever is above, I wasn't going to learn about it from those people. Whatever is watching over us, whether it be a god, many gods, nature, aliens, whatever...I just try to be a good person and do what feels right. And so far it seems to be working for me.

I will never disrespect or discredit someone else's beliefs though. It doesn't matter what's real or not, religion does a lot of good things for a lot of people.

That's where I stand. To me the entire point of religion is to teach us how to be good to our fellow man. So I try my best to do that. I feel like if I'm a decent person, I'll get to Heaven if there is one. If not, I'll just be remembered as a decent person. It's all good.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Sutton your not special, it's YOUR opinion on what it means to you. That doesn’t make it the Truth. You just hope it is.

It's the original translation. Not revised 73 bazillion times. Which one are you gonna believe? The old Testament was written in Hebrew. We have 5 copies of it word for word in my Temple. Nothing changed for us. Your interpretation of OUR BOOK isn't right. And it doesn't take HOPE to know that.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

I've never once said that. I said that the 2 Commandments that Jesus gave, that if obeyed would indeed never lead you to disobey the first 10.

As if one would except his worldview to change over an internet exchange. All you've done is repeat what you already think is correct. So of course it only deepens your belief.

Or did you mean the first 9, since one of those 10 doesn't apply to you?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    At what "level" do you step back and just say "Okay, I'm close enough, lets stick with this because it works"?

For most people...never. Thousands of religions/branches in this world, and they are ALL the "right one" if you ask them. My brain had a serious issue with that.

However, if you strip out the stories, additions, modifications, etc...you end up with core values that are all basically the same. Simply put..."Hey, don't be an ******* and good things will happen". I think we can all agree on that, regardless of beliefs.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    For most people...never. Thousands of religions/branches in this world, and they are ALL the "right one" if you ask them. My brain had a serious issue with that.
    Same. Especially when people get all nutty and start saying that Christianity (new kid on the block) HAS TO BE! the right one.
    However, if you strip out the stories, additions, modifications, etc...you end up with core values that are all basically the same. Simply put..."Hey, don't be an ******* and good things will happen". I think we can all agree on that, regardless of beliefs.

I agree, but that's just a good way to live. Atheist, etc. should follow that as well.

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    Up to 11 pages! Why not keep 'er goin'? Lots of doctrinal disputes yet to be revisited:

Gnosticism
    Docetism
    Origenism
    Arianism
    Pelagianism
    Nestorianism
    Monophysitism

And we're only up the the 5th Century... enough for another 50 pages at least!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    It's the original translation. Not revised 73 bazillion times. Which one are you gonna believe? The old Testament was written in Hebrew. We have 5 copies of it word for word in my Temple. Nothing changed for us. Your interpretation of OUR BOOK isn't right. And it doesn't take HOPE to know that.

Well I can actually sense the subtleness in your post and for that I'm grateful. I didn't want you rack'n out heated. ;)

I have not read the Tanakh cover to cover. I have however used the Online version in various studies that involved those books as a reference. I quite enjoy reading it and the New Testament as well as the OT Books of the Bible.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Up to 11 pages! Why not keep 'er goin'? Lots of doctrinal disputes yet to be revisited:

Gnosticism
    Docetism
    Origenism
    Arianism
    Pelagianism
    Nestorianism
    Monophysitism

And we're only up the the 5th Century... enough for another 50 pages at least!

Deists founded our nation. Christians and Muslims and Jews and all sorts of others have torn it apart.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Why? Ya'll like doing it to us. Zing! I'll be here all week folks!

But seriously, Hitman, I feel a lot more respect for you, than often comes out in these discussions. I know I come across as rude and arrogant in them, and I apologize for that to you. You weren't the ones that treated me so poorly in the past in regards to religion, and unfortunately I let the memory of past interactions/altercations get ahold of me too much, too often.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom