Are we going to see a hurricane in a couple days?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Ah ha! A pic from FB. Just as I suspected.

Jin Cantoree.jpg

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Another question is, “Will we see confiscation” after the storm passes?
    I only hope they send bachelors.
    No! The cat is last after the cat food runs out!

I called animal control on the possum on my carport this morning. Then I thought maybe I should fatten him up until after the storm. Any good recipies?
    Roast Possum

Possum is easy to catch. Hit ‘em with a rock or a stick when they’s up a tree and you can have ‘em in your sack afore they knows it. The yellow-bellied goomers is too scared to fight back, and they play dead jest long enough to grab ‘em.

Boil up half a peck ‘o water or more, dependin’ on the size o’ your possum. Dunk the critter in boilin’ water an’ right away pull off his hair n’ scrape ‘em clean. Don’t forgit to cut off his feet, his head n’ his tail! Clean out his innards. Put the possum in a hefty jug o’ cold salty water and let ‘em soak overnight. Change his water the next day and start boilin’ him ‘til his skin lets a fork pop through it easy like. They ain’t no time for cooking possum ‘cause some is tougher than others. When the feller is jest right, dry him off and put ‘em in a bakin’ pan with a bit o’ pot likker (juice left over after cooking greens or other vegetables) ‘n some seasoned salt over his belly. When he is brown ‘n toasty, he is ready for slicin’ and servin’. Back home we fattens possum with ‘simmons (persimmons), and most often we eats him with yams.

This is Granny's recipe.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    I only hope they send bachelors.

Roast Possum

Possum is easy to catch. Hit ‘em with a rock or a stick when they’s up a tree and you can have ‘em in your sack afore they knows it. The yellow-bellied goomers is too scared to fight back, and they play dead jest long enough to grab ‘em.

Boil up half a peck ‘o water or more, dependin’ on the size o’ your possum. Dunk the critter in boilin’ water an’ right away pull off his hair n’ scrape ‘em clean. Don’t forgit to cut off his feet, his head n’ his tail! Clean out his innards. Put the possum in a hefty jug o’ cold salty water and let ‘em soak overnight. Change his water the next day and start boilin’ him ‘til his skin lets a fork pop through it easy like. They ain’t no time for cooking possum ‘cause some is tougher than others. When the feller is jest right, dry him off and put ‘em in a bakin’ pan with a bit o’ pot likker (juice left over after cooking greens or other vegetables) ‘n some seasoned salt over his belly. When he is brown ‘n toasty, he is ready for slicin’ and servin’. Back home we fattens possum with ‘simmons (persimmons), and most often we eats him with yams.

This is Granny's recipe.
    Opossum

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I did all my prep on Sunday. I enjoyed watching people scramble yesterday and today to try to get everything done. Granted I stay prepared for stuff like this year round so all I had to do was fill up the vehicles, top off the gas cans, and although I didn’t need it make a trip to the grocery to buy a few extra cases of bottled water and dry food.
    I didn't even do any heavy lifting, I just ordered water and food to be delivered Sunday while out and about with the family enjoying the weather. Came home to cases of water and fruit etc just sitting on my door step, and I didn't have to deal with the crowds.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    We already had everything we need, aside from some fuel. I had three days worth on hand. I bought enough for another two days.

If you have a generator, make sure you have oil to service it with after 100 hours. Especially if it has a Subaru engine.

I service mine ever ~76 hours, or four days of running 18 hours a day. I have two generators and rotate them out while servicing one.

After Katrina I saw many generators freeze up after a week of running non stop. I'm still running the same generator that powered my house for 28 days after Katrina. It still starts on the first pull.

Only use Premium Ethanol Free fuel. Ethanol kills small engines.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    Only use Premium Ethanol Free fuel. Ethanol kills small engines.
    I store mine with non Ethanol fuel (from a pump that has its own nozzle/ljne for it) with stabilizer.

However we do not have an option for higher octane other than 87 octane. If we did, I would still use 87 since I am under the assumption it would make less power in higher octane.

I also clean my carb bowl when dine if I do run gasoline.

I learned in my old crf50f dirtbike fuel brakes down in months with e10. Very surprising.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    One thing I do NOT do during any power outage is try to maintain a "normal" way of living. I only run the generator long enough to keep the fridge and freezers where they should be, let the dehumidifiers keep relative humidity somewhat in check, and to run cooling/heating long enough to keep temps from getting too far in either direction.

For extended periods of outage that could also include using the clothes washer/dryer, or just the washer and hang to dry. I never try to maintain "true normalcy" during an outage.

Top Bottom