Glock Pheromones?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I'll put in my $0.02. I have owned 3 Glocks in my life. A 23, a 36, and a 30. NONE of them have given me ANY problems but I dont own any of them anymore. I traded or sold them off because I just didnt like the way they felt in my hand. My personal opinion is, I would rather have a few less rounds and have something that I enjoy shooting than a boatload of rounds and hate the way it feels. Here is my resoning. I now have an M&P45c and love the feel of it. I shoot it more than I did my 30 (which is what I traded for it), and feel that I am a better shot with the M&P because it feels better and points natural for me. Let's face it, we shoot at the range a lot more than then we will ever get into an urban gun battle. Why not shoot something that you enjoy. If I enjoyed shooting the Glocks, I would have kept them, but they ARE great guns.

Last edited:

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I usually put a little more effort and research into what I purchase not just emulate what is popular at the time. Luckily I only have to purchase firearms for myself and not a bland one size fits all firearm which makes the most people happy.

This will be my last post I have vented enough thanks for allowing me to free associate on Glocks. Hope no one took offense and I will probably be selling my 1911's in the future and switching to something more modern. :rolleyes:

Wow, this entire thread really did sail right over your head. You asked for opinions, which we happily gave you. You then call us Glock fanatics, Kool-aid drinkers, uneducated, bland...must I go on.

You just can't seem to accept anothers' point of view, which is fine, it's your loss.

+100000 for what Pangris said.

ETA: From another perspective, I shoot left-handed. Manipulating the de-cocker on a Sig or HK can be a PITA unless I utilize my off hand.

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Wow, this entire thread really did sail right over your head. You asked for opinions, which we happily gave you. You then call us Glock fanatics, Kool-aid drinkers, uneducated, bland...must I go on.

You just can't seem to accept anothers' point of view, which is fine, it's your loss.

+100000 for what Pangris said.

I am not trying to offend anyone. I don't think anyone in here is uneducated and never stated that. Actually every reference I made was directed at a brand of pistol. I hope no one even you BOSS302 is defined by the pistol he carries. Sorry if I offended anyone but you shouldn't take things so seriously. I have no problem accepting others viewpoints and I appreciate objective points supporting an argument. These aren't personal attacks unless you yourself designed and created the glock. If so I am sorry I attacked you if not then don't take things so personal.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I am not trying to offend anyone. I don't think anyone in here is uneducated and never stated that. Actually every reference I made was directed at a brand of pistol. I hope no one even you BOSS302 is defined by the pistol he carries. Sorry if I offended anyone but you shouldn't take things so seriously. I have no problem accepting others viewpoints and I appreciate objective points supporting an argument. These aren't personal attacks unless you yourself designed and created the glock. If so I am sorry I attacked you if not then don't take things so personal.

It's all good bro. We're all headed to the same place, just taking different routes.

40caloldtimer

I can hit the orange.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    Burnside, LA
    I own both guns, Glock was made, first used half the parts as any other auto, and is about 200,000 more rounds reliable than a Sigma. DO NOT get me wrong the sigma fires everytime you pull the trigger and after you master the heavy trigger, tight groups are easily obtainable. My G-23 is a Tack Driver meaning, they all go exactly at POA, true I had the factory night sights installed and moved over precisely 1 mm (Any glock be it 10mm or 9mm is a tack driver for me in the compact model). Anywho my G-23 is almost as accurate as my prized Browning HP and that to me says a lot when a $500.00 gun can hang with 2k and up guns!!! All this said I still love my Sigma and throw it in the bag for the range every time ,but for work or leaving the house its Glock. Just my opinion unfortunetly we all have them! Oh yeah Smith lost the lawsuit not Glock so I would rather have the original than the knockoff but being the SnW fan I am. I had to get it! Mine was 275.00 brand new with 4 mags (X-Mas special @ Academy).

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Glocks are the AKs of pistols. Simple, functional machinery. The focus is on reliability, not comfort or aesthetics. The manual of arms is simple...squeeze trigger, repeat. It is probably the most recognizable brand name in the entire firearms industry, and it's not because of clever marketing. It's because police, military and civilians all over the world have been trusting their lives to Glocks for decades. Like the AK, it's a great first gun. Readily available, easily recognized and no learning curve. That is why so many people buy them.

Are they perfect? Nope, no piece of machinery is. Do I personally own a Glock? Nope, they don't fit me well and I don't shoot them well. Does that mean I'm gonna run around the internet saying my XDs and M&Ps are better? Nope, that would make me an idiot. I think the XD is on par with the Glock, but nothing out there is better. The Glock is the standard by which other pistols are judged, because they have been out there and PROVEN for a long, long time. My verdict is still out on the M&P, it just hasn't been out long enough. The rest of the polymer wannabes...Sigmas, Taurus, etc are junk in comparison.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I guess your right all of them armies and police departments know best and obviously aren't limited by budget and have to buy a gun that requires little amounts of maintenance and has cheap replaceable parts. Glock is a good buy no doubt but it isn't a top notch gun.

With that attitude I would just call the local sheriffs office and let them pick your pistol for you.

I can see it now Ring Ring. Hey what you guys carrying. What a glock, taser, and a flashlight? oh ok I guess I will have to get myself one of those. What was the name of that taser?

I usually put a little more effort and research into what I purchase not just emulate what is popular at the time. Luckily I only have to purchase firearms for myself and not a bland one size fits all firearm which makes the most people happy.

This will be my last post I have vented enough thanks for allowing me to free associate on Glocks. Hope no one took offense and I will probably be selling my 1911's in the future and switching to something more modern. :rolleyes:

I know that was your last post, so I won't be offended if you don't respond. FYI, I prefer 1911's (Kimbers) and L-frame S&W revolvers because them's what I like - nothing to do with what any LE organization prefers.
    But if armies / SO's / etc wanted cheap vs dependable, why wouldn't they pick the Sigma since it's as good as the Glock for less money? Also,I think the U.S. choose Beretta's awhile back so I assume money wasn't the main factor. FYI, I do have some Beretta's also, but not b/c the Army liked them.
    And thanks for your post - very interesting discussion generator.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I became a handgun owner later in life than most of the folks on this board, but I did my homework, reading, and talking to people before I bought my gun. I had it narrowed down to a Glock or an XD. When I tried them out, I liked them both about the same; but the XD fit my hand better (and not knocking spanky, but the grip safety has never caused me a problem, it's just a matter of what you get used to).

Having said all of that, I'm surprised to find that I'm the first one to point out that the Glock was named as one of the Top 10 handguns of all time in this month's "American Rifleman."

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I became a handgun owner later in life than most of the folks on this board, but I did my homework, reading, and talking to people before I bought my gun. I had it narrowed down to a Glock or an XD. When I tried them out, I liked them both about the same; but the XD fit my hand better (and not knocking spanky, but the grip safety has never caused me a problem, it's just a matter of what you get used to).

Having said all of that, I'm surprised to find that I'm the first one to point out that the Glock was named as one of the Top 10 handguns of all time in this month's "American Rifleman."

Yes it was coming in at #3. What was #1 on the list you say? I actually looked up the answer and it happens to be the M1911. :D

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    If price is a concern I would go with a XD, Kel-Tec, CZ, High Point, and several other pistols out there before I would dish out the same if not more funds for a glock.

From what I see, XD's are about on par with Glock. Also, Glock offers more discounts, some of which the average Joe can get.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I know that was your last post, so I won't be offended if you don't respond. FYI, I prefer 1911's (Kimbers) and L-frame S&W revolvers because them's what I like - nothing to do with what any LE organization prefers.
    But if armies / SO's / etc wanted cheap vs dependable, why wouldn't they pick the Sigma since it's as good as the Glock for less money? Also,I think the U.S. choose Beretta's awhile back so I assume money wasn't the main factor. FYI, I do have some Beretta's also, but not b/c the Army liked them.
    And thanks for your post - very interesting discussion generator.

That is a good point but I also have to bring up the fact that S&W was sued over the production of the Sigma due to the similarities that the glock and sigma share. They might not be exact but they are close enough to pursue legal action over copyright infringement.
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_175_29/ai_n13466589/

Makes you think.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Guess my friendly advice was un-wanted. That's okay, too. You're a big boy.

Just be aware that there are numerous folks on here who have a LOT of experience with all of these various pistols... and will call you out every time you make another inane remark.

That said... have a large day.;)

I think you're just fartin' in the wind Steve. I really don't know how we all keep getting sucked into these stupid debates with ignorant people...

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'll tell ya'll what I think about a "polymer revolution." Regardless of what the marketing spin is on the subject the reason manufacturers started making frames with polymer is because it cost less money to manufacture, period. You didn't need nearly as many skilled machinists to work a plastic mold. Now that's all fine because polymer is actually not too bad for a pistol frame. But my problem comes from these manufacturers charging just as much for a polymer framed pistol as they do a steel or aluminum frame. The steel or aluminum cost them more to make which reduces their profit margin. That to me is the real reason why so many polymer framed pistols are being shoved down the public's throat. Fortunately they've become cool and generally accepted by superior marketing skills so there you go. HK for example has got a lot of balls charging what they charge for the polymer framed pistols.

Dave

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'll tell ya'll what I think about a "polymer revolution." Regardless of what the marketing spin is on the subject the reason manufacturers started making frames with polymer is because it cost less money to manufacture, period. You didn't need nearly as many skilled machinists to work a plastic mold. Now that's all fine because polymer is actually not too bad for a pistol frame. But my problem comes from these manufacturers charging just as much for a polymer framed pistol as they do a steel or aluminum frame. The steel or aluminum cost them more to make which reduces their profit margin. That to me is the real reason why so many polymer framed pistols are being shoved down the public's throat. Fortunately they've become cool and generally accepted by superior marketing skills so there you go. HK for example has got a lot of balls charging what they charge for the polymer framed pistols.

Dave

Polymer is lighter, impervious to the elements, allows for more design freedom (improved ergonomics/grip textures), and recently has allowed for the REVOLUTION of modular design (think interchangeable grips found on the M&P and XDM).

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    No big thinking required there. S&W tried to cash in on the polymer revolution with a blatant near-clone of somebody else's work, and got nailed for it. You could drop a G17 or G22 barrel into a like-caliber Stigma and it would work; as far as one could get a Stigma to work at all, that is. There were other differences... like that bizarre hinged trigger, and the fact that a Glock works all the time and the Stigma didn't.

I cannot understand how you can continue to attempt to defend that atrocious POS, other than the obvious fact that you simply don't know any better. Nothing wrong with that... until you try to make BS points with totally wrong "logic".

Guess my friendly advice was un-wanted. That's okay, too. You're a big boy.

Just be aware that there are numerous folks on here who have a LOT of experience with all of these various pistols... and will call you out every time you make another inane remark.

That said... have a large day.;)

Sticking my phallus into hornets nests seems to be something I am pretty darn good at.

I am sure you are used to statements like that shutting people up but how about you read this article and take some time to let it stew. The pistols are pretty freaking similar and the Sigma is by no means a POS. Not exact but the similarities warranted some calling the sigma the SWOCK and S&W getting sued over the whole ordeal. Who knows maybe your right but wikipedia begs to differ "The Sigma series pistols are so similar to the competing Glock pistols that Glock sued Smith & Wesson for patent infringement."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_175_29/ai_n13466589/?tag=content;col1

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    never miss at 200 yards
    Top Bottom