Iraq Redux Part Deux v. ISIL

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Im saying anyone that is a paid presenter/contributor/analyst/ or expert of any of the major networks is an entertainer. They are paid to entertain and keep your attention between commercials. In the case of Col Peters; he is paid to analyze a very particular set of data. He is asked specific questions contrived to arrive at specific conclusions.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Im saying anyone that is a paid presenter/contributor/analyst/ or expert of any of the major networks is an entertainer. They are paid to entertain and keep your attention between commercials. In the case of Col Peters; he is paid to analyze a very particular set of data. He is asked specific questions contrived to arrive at specific conclusions.

Don't know. He almost always has his own take, in his own words, regardless of the lead up. His columns are not much different.

http://nypost.com/author/ralph-peters/

To me, there is a difference between those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. Now, I could be naïve, but I would hope that when you arrive at Colonel, General, or any high ranking military officer that you didn't just throw out all your honor and respect for your branch, service, or underlings for a few shekels.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Naive may not be the right word but its not what you think it is.

Then that's too bad! Because I don't listen to former military officers opinions about wars, death, and bloodshed for entertainment!

If you owned a restaurant and needed me to tell you the correct way to avoid being defrauded when you buy seafood, I wouldn't be tap dancing for you.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Don't know. He almost always has his own take, in his own words, regardless of the lead up. His columns are not much different.

http://nypost.com/author/ralph-peters/

To me, there is a difference between those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. Now, I could be naïve, but I would hope that when you arrive at Colonel, General, or any high ranking military officer that you didn't just throw out all your honor and respect for your branch, service, or underlings for a few shekels.

If his take didn't jive with their take do you think they would keep paying him to give it?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    There is absolutely no difference between Fox and MSNBC. It's not journalism. It just happens to be that in this community one song and dance is more palatable than the other. Rachel Maddow and Glenn Beck are the same person doing the same job.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There is absolutely no difference between Fox and MSNBC. It's not journalism. It just happens to be that in this community one song and dance is more palatable than the other. Rachel Maddow and Glenn Beck are the same person doing the same job.

I'm talking about honor and self respect! I get paid too; but I don't sell my integrity, my talents, and my profession down the river for a paycheck. This sounds to me like military honor codes are easily left behind for star chasing.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Then that's too bad! Because I don't listen to former military officers opinions about wars, death, and bloodshed for entertainment!

If you owned a restaurant and needed me to tell you the correct way to avoid being defrauded when you buy seafood, I wouldn't be tap dancing for you.

But if you were being paid by Steve's Seafood Outlet?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I'm talking about honor and self respect! I get paid too; but I don't sell my integrity, my talents, and my profession for a paycheck. This sounds to me like military honor codes are easily left behind for star chasing.

Like I said a whole lotta dudes that know a metric ton more than Col Peters Refuse to do the work...

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well you wouldn't have much of a career in cable news my man.

No problem! But what I do want is some one that knows what is going on over there to tell me the truth! And I have been led to believe that a code of honor persists amongst the military brethren. You are telling me that that honor can be sold. I am confused!

No offense to you, but you are telling us what you think is going on over there. I don't know if you are getting paid to do so; but your argument implies that you are honorable and those that are getting paid or not. Am I wrong?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I'm not getting paid I'm relaying my opinion and the facts I have found that support it. I think talking heads on TV have little to no credibility because yes I think they are willing to sell it. What was Peter's take on WMD in Iraq? To me he is just like an athlete, does LeBron really drink Sprite because it's cool and refreshing or does he drink it because of 8 figure checks made payable to him? I don't know which is the case so I don't count him as a credible expert.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'm not getting paid I'm relaying my opinion and the facts I have found that support it. I think talking heads on TV have little to no credibility because yes I think they are willing to sell it. What was Peter's take on WMD in Iraq? To me he is just like an athlete, does LeBron really drink Sprite because it's cool and refreshing or does he drink it because of 8 figure checks made payable to him? I don't know which is the case so I don't count him as a credible expert.

LeBron gets paid a lot more for playing basketball. Would he not be a credible expert on how to play well at basketball? Could someone offer him more to give bad advice about how to play basketball? I suppose, but it's not very likely.

Where do you get your "facts" about the conflict? Maybe I should be listening to those folks too. After all, I am just looking for the truth. Do your sources just write a blog? Or; are they considered a credible and informed source of quantifiable fact in military circles? Would they call every cable and network ex-military officer a hack?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I use a combo of sources: My experiences, people in the field I trust, new sources I trust (The Guardian in the UK has done a great job in the ME), reputable Blogs like War is Boring, The Long War Journal, and others, and bits and pieces from domestic and international news outlets.

I don't think all Journalist are hacks but I do think all cable news psuedo-journalist are hacks.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans

Granted that news is not what it used to be. And I get that many of the "News Shows" are entertainment. But to say that all paid commenters/consultants are just selling a product is a bit of a stretch IMO.

When LeBron does a Sprite commercial...everyone knows is is selling a product.

When "Sully" Sullenberger, who successfully executed an emergency water landing on the Hudson, comments on aircraft safety or the search of the missing Malaysian airliner on CBS News as a paid commenter.....He is not selling a product.

He is giving his opinion as an expert in the field of an airline pilot. There is a difference. And for the most part...I would think the same of a Colonel who is a consultant of a network.

Granted...one may disagree with his opinion. But I don't think they are selling anything.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I use a combo of sources: My experiences, people in the field I trust, new sources I trust (The Guardian in the UK has done a great job in the ME), reputable Blogs like War is Boring, The Long War Journal, and others, and bits and pieces from domestic and international news outlets.

I don't think all Journalist are hacks but I do think all cable news psuedo-journalist are hacks.

And just an FYI according to Forbes LeBron James makes 48 mil a year off endorsements that's far more than he makes playing ball.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Granted that news is not what it used to be. And I get that many of the "News Shows" are entertainment. But to say that all paid commenters/consultants are just selling a product is a bit of a stretch IMO.

When LeBron does a Sprite commercial...everyone knows is is selling a product.

When "Sully" Sullenberger, who successfully executed an emergency water landing on the Hudson, comments on aircraft safety or the search of the missing Malaysian airliner on CBS News as a paid commenter.....He is not selling a product.

He is giving his opinion as an expert in the field of an airline pilot. There is a difference. And for the most part...I would think the same of a Colonel who is a consultant of a network.

Granted...one may disagree with his opinion. But I don't think they are selling anything.

I disagree. They are entertaining.

rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    VG, I'm picking up what you're putting down. In all seriousness, where should I look to stay up to date with current events? Or is that even a practical approach?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom