Katrina Gun Confiscation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    I really enjoy reading about all the guns that were confiscated in NOLA during Katrina. Funny that while there as a federal emergency law enforcement response official, I never saw ONE confiscation that was unlawful. I did see some people disarmed because they threatened people with a firearm and were arrested accordingly. (Look up LA RS 14:37 for reference)

Compass did say he was going to have all the firearms taken. EVERY NOPD COP I KNEW REFUSED TO DO THIS. And I know a LOT of them. Did some wrong things happen? Yes, for sure some did. Most of it was in the first 2 days. However this gun confiscation story has been blown way out of proportion. What people should really be focusing on is that more police refused to carry out this illegal and unconstitutional order by Eddie Compass than the few rare instances where someone's guns were wrongfully taken by Law Enforcement (Mostly OUT OF STATE NORTHERN AND WEST COAST POLICE (NY/NJ/MA/CA ETC)).

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I really enjoy reading about all the guns that were confiscated in NOLA during Katrina. Funny that while there as a federal emergency law enforcement response official, I never saw ONE confiscation that was unlawful. I did see some people disarmed because they threatened people with a firearm and were arrested accordingly. (Look up LA RS 14:37 for reference)

Compass did say he was going to have all the firearms taken. EVERY NOPD COP I KNEW REFUSED TO DO THIS. And I know a LOT of them. Did some wrong things happen? Yes, for sure some did. Most of it was in the first 2 days. However this gun confiscation story has been blown way out of proportion. What people should really be focusing on is that more police refused to carry out this illegal and unconstitutional order by Eddie Compass than the few rare instances where someone's guns were wrongfully taken by Law Enforcement (Mostly OUT OF STATE NORTHERN AND WEST COAST POLICE (NY/NJ/MA/CA ETC)).

Stop it, they don't want to hear that.

JR1572

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles

Your absolutely right, except it is 14:37.4. ;) Which, most people do not notice was changed two years ago and broadened greatly so that it could be applied to a "brandishing" kind of situation by an ignorant or unscrupulous LEO/DA. It used to require the actual discharge of the firearm. It is a LOT broader now.

http://legis.la.gov/lss/lss.asp?doc=78482&showback=

I was here for the storm, and I did not see a single confiscation. I came in and out multiple times with literally a stack of guns and never got so much as a peep from any LEO. I think it is a typical case of picking a few isolated incidents out of context and exaggerating them.

Let me clearly state though that I think a single unjustified confiscation of someone's legally possessed firearm is absolutely wrong, what the "media" and certain books reported, paints a picture that simply was not reality.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    One thing I noticed is that everyone who was actually THERE didn't see any of the mass confiscations of guns from citizens that has been claimed. Curious that everyone who WASN'T there actually knows more than those who WERE there.

If I may:

I was in Faluja November 2004.

Other than my ant's eye view, probably most people reading this knows more about it than I do. (I intentionally avoid all movies, video's, books, and articles about it)
    I know when we went in, in relation to others (don't know the date) I knw we saved 1 of the 2 bridges that was our objective, (near the ice cream factory) I know about weapons, people, buddies that got hit etc....

You don't know much when your the "guy on the ground" compared to being in a command post, or after, with hindsite.
    I'd imagin this is similar.

$0.02

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Stop it, they don't want to hear that.

JR1572

Don't they have the SAME Constitution as us dummies here in the South?

And, if all these police officers went out of their way to "REFUSE to enforce that idiot Compass' orders", then why didn't ANY of that make the news or the gossip rounds? Seems to me, that is even more of a news story than the few confiscations we are talking about. After all, those police officers of which you speak were defying a direct order from their highest ranking officer, no?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Your absolutely right, except it is 14:37.4. ;) Which, most people do not notice was changed two years ago and broadened greatly so that it could be applied to a "brandishing" kind of situation by an ignorant or unscrupulous LEO/DA. It used to require the actual discharge of the firearm. It is a LOT broader now.

http://legis.la.gov/lss/lss.asp?doc=78482&showback=

I was here for the storm, and I did not see a single confiscation. I came in and out multiple times with literally a stack of guns and never got so much as a peep from any LEO. I think it is a typical case of picking a few isolated incidents out of context and exaggerating them.

Let me clearly state though that I think a single unjustified confiscation of someone's legally possessed firearm is absolutely wrong, what the "media" and certain books reported, paints a picture that simply was not reality.

I thought you were from lake Charles slowhand.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I've done more than enough traveling up north to be able to explain their thoughts on guns:

"no one should have them."
    "If you have a gun, you're a criminal."
    "If you're an off duty cop, why would you carry it off duty? It's part of your uniform.... its not a toy."
    "there's no good reason to have a firearm in public"
    "this guy thinks hes rambo. look how big that stupid gun is" - looking at a g17

all paraphrased quotes from northern clowns and acquaintances in NY and MA during trips last year. It's a whole other logic and they are so polluted with a liberal agenda that you can't even talk to them about it. They are goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I've done more than enough traveling up north to be able to explain their thoughts on guns:

"If you're an off duty cop, why would you carry it off duty? It's part of your uniform.... its not a toy."

all paraphrased quotes from northern clowns and acquaintances in NY and MA during trips last year. It's a whole other logic and they are so polluted with a liberal agenda that you can't even talk to them about it. They are goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I ain't buying it!

Police and Military personnel MUST follow the Law; all within the framework of the US Constitution. I don't care what their citizenry thinks as an ideology or concept.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Way gone! Even those that commit the ultimate atrocity and move up there.
    Know a guy from Lafayette who moved to D.C., even had a Cajun Last name.....
    doesn't think any where near the same way about guns
    as he used to living down here.

Got a couple friends in Jersey......it would literally cause them to have a nervous breakdown
    to have a firearm in their home, much less loaded.
    They fear someone shooting them with their own gun more than anything else.
    can barely stand to look at the pics of my kids shooting without their heart racing.

It's full retard up there. My friend shares a few stories with me every time we talk.
    It's like another country.

....How/why again are so many Gun manufactures up there? :crazy:

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Oh well. Seeing as a good portion of the anti-gun bills on a state level spring from the great minds of certain NOLA-area reps, I'm sure there will come a day when someone in power from that area once again says something during a "difficult time" that makes gun owners do a double-take. :doh:

So if anyone does happen to forget about the isolated cases of wrongdoing....what goes around, comes around probably applies here. :)

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I ain't buying it!

Police and Military personnel MUST follow the Law; all within the framework of the US Constitution. I don't care what their citizenry thinks as an ideology or concept.

right. that IS their law. You aren't going to take away 10+ years of experience and habits when they get off a bus to help out a disaster area on the other side of the country.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    right. that IS their law. You aren't going to take away 10+ years of experience and habits when they get off a bus to help out a disaster area on the other side of the country.

I will cede that some people are so ignorant of life around them they wouldn't realize that individual state's laws vary; but we are not talking about some dumbass college kids, or housewives, or plumbers. These are LEO's and Military people.

If your premise is valid, then we'd have to assume that any LEO or Military personnel from out of state are threats to our way of living because they have morons living amongst them back home.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom