Katrina Gun Confiscation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    8zwXDXR.jpg

won't hide it. i lol'd

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I have a question.... I hear about the Helo's getting shot at and I don't understand. If you are in a helo how do you know you are being shot at? IF the bullet doesn't hit the bird? Where are the pics of the shot up aircraft? Fire Trucks?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have a question.... I hear about the Helo's getting shot at and I don't understand. If you are in a helo how do you know you are being shot at? IF the bullet doesn't hit the bird? Where are the pics of the shot up aircraft? Fire Trucks?

I said these exact words to someone this morning. I got some babble like "umm uh erm it was fema and bush"

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I said these exact words to someone this morning. I got some babble like "umm uh erm it was fema and bush"

I've been in aircraft reviving 23mm Fire and didn't hear a thing. Helicopters are LOUD. I saw tracers the size of box cars but I didn't hear a thing.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    I prefer non-fiction, myself. If short statements count for anything, the statement made by the then-Chief of Police at 01:11 in the video below should have been disturbing to anyone who says they believe in the Second Amendment.

I for one am glad that he was removed from his position. This cannot be tolerated from public officials. Period.

The last quote from the NG guy was disturbing also.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

There's no excuse for that type of ignorance from people in positions of authority. Much of what happened in those days was- IMHO- due to extremely poor leadership.

Someone mentioned earlier about police / military refusing to follow orders they believe to be illegal. I remember this story from a few years back, and found it to be quite telling about the "leadership" NOLA had in place during Katrina. Of course, the said leadership's personnel denied it ever happened- so I guess it's up to us to decide whether or not we believe them. What's the former mayor up to these days, again? :)

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/08/new_orleans_cops_say_they_got.html

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans

And some of you say that this did not happen. You say it's fictitious. Hmm....I think the word is delusional....or better yet...Denial. It happened.

And yes...Good find Heat.

FWIW....Even the State Legislature jumped in to address the Cluster F*ck....Passing laws to protect gun rights. I would venture to guess that many of the recent pro-gun laws passed are a direct result of LEO actions during Katrina.

The facts remain...Home Owners were ordered to surrender their weapons. And those that refused...such as the Attorney Ashton O'Dwyer...were arrested.

Furthermore...the man's life was ruined because he continued to put up a fight. He was accused of making threats to the Federal Government(which he did not honestly make)...and they put the Ati-Terror Task force on his ass. He was disbarred and lost his ability to earn a income....and then was evicted from his house on St. Charles Avenue...and had his house repo'd.

All of the above happened. It is not fiction...just the facts.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans

There was a guy who made the dumb move of firing at a helo right next to the 4th District NOPD building while several officers were there. He's the only one who went to trial on it.

There was a story about a Coast Guard helo shot down in Mid-city, but this is one I personally witnessed. It was neither shot down nor a Coastie. It WAS an orange bird that crashed on the bank of Bayou St. John near the Post Office by Mercy (Lindy Boggs) Hospital. That was a pilot error thing and resulted in no injuries, but the media folks flying over saw a crashed orange bird and thought it was Coast Guard, so that's what was initially reported.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    And some of you say that this did not happen. You say it's fictitious. Hmm....I think the word is delusional....or better yet...Denial. It happened.

And yes...Good find Heat.

FWIW....Even the State Legislature jumped in to address the Cluster F*ck....Passing laws to protect gun rights. I would venture to guess that many of the recent pro-gun laws passed are a direct result of LEO actions during Katrina.

The facts remain...Home Owners were ordered to surrender their weapons. And those that refused...such as the Attorney Ashton O'Dwyer...were arrested.

Furthermore...the man's life was ruined because he continued to put up a fight. He was accused of making threats to the Federal Government(which he did not honestly make)...and they put the Ati-Terror Task force on his ass. He was disbarred and lost his ability to earn a income....and then was evicted from his house on St. Charles Avenue...and had his house repo'd.

All of the above happened. It is not fiction...just the facts.

Kinda like the guy hiding in your closet you were shooting at, while wearing pants with dope in them?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    NOLA reports that Dwyer lost his right to practice over being an idiot. The documented offense was to send an e-mail in which he asked his bankruptcy judge for permission to buy a depression-drug refill. O'Dwyer made an email comment to a judge that "a number of scoundrels might be at risk" in the courthouse if he should become "homicidal" for not having the refill. feds that then indicted him for making a threat.

He's also got a long list of insulting colleagues and judges in the courtroom. He was disbarred for being a scumbag, not from some conspiracy.

Thank you for yet another discrediting of the accounts surrounding Katrina's aftermath.

edit: Ah hell, I just went n pulled it up. I'll just leave this here for amusement: http://www.leagle.com/decision/20081371582brfsupp2d789_11302.xml/O'DWYER v. LOUISIANA

Some highlights for a reader's digest version:

"The plaintiff is a licensed attorney. He has willfully crossed a line that should never have been approached by any member of the Bar of this Court. During its entire tenure on the bench, this Court has never witnessed an attorney's use of written unprofessional and derogatory language that rivals the plaintiffs in this matter. The plaintiff is formally advised that if, in the future, he includes in any document he files into the record any future language that is challenged by any other party and which the Court finds to be unprofessional or derogatory, the plaintiff will be subject to a fine of $1,000 for each word in the sentence containing offensive language, payable as the Court directs. To the extent that the plaintiff or any other party is recalling a party's own use of offensive language during the events involving the arrest and incarceration, inclusion of the language may be acceptable. To the extent the plaintiff is using offensive language directed to another person or party, however, it will be deemed sanctionable. To the extent that the plaintiffs language is obscene or unnecessarily offensive and directed to another party's alleged conduct, it will be deemed sanctionable."

Regarding fines/payments:

To the extent the plaintiff is using offensive language directed to another party or counsel, it will be deemed sanctionable. To the extent that the plaintiffs language is obscene or unnecessarily offensive and directed to another party's alleged conduct, it will be deemed sanctionable. Violation of this order shall result in sanctions, including a fine of $1,000 for each word in the sentence containing offensive language and dismissal, if appropriate.

Regarding timely arrest: (Hurricane Katrina was Aug 23, 2005 FYI...)

In this motion, the plaintiff challenges as defamatory and false statements made by Justice Kimball that he "openly bore arms" and that he was arrested in December 2006 and June 2007.

Justice Kimball argues that the motion is untimely and moot, and that this Court lacks jurisdiction because of the notice of appeal filed by her. The Court agrees with Justice Kimball that it lacks jurisdiction over her and notes that, in addition, this motion raises a factual dispute that is not properly raised on a motion to strike. This motion lacks merit.

So yeah, he's an idiot, a scumbag, a disbarred attorney, a liar, and a criminal. I don't see any reason to add "victim" to this list.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I was always most concerned with what the then-police chief and others actually said, than I am with anything else.

We as gun owners had better damn-well give a $hit anytime a public official starts throwing that kind of crap around. :dunno:

I'm all for not letting the bull$hit cloud what we should be concerned with- but let's just not forget the wrongs that DID happen in the process of arguing over it. :doh:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    NOLA reports that Dwyer lost his right to practice over being an idiot. The documented offense was to send an e-mail in which he asked his bankruptcy judge for permission to buy a depression-drug refill. O'Dwyer made an email comment to a judge that "a number of scoundrels might be at risk" in the courthouse if he should become "homicidal" for not having the refill. feds that then indicted him for making a threat.

He's also got a long list of insulting colleagues and judges in the courtroom. He was disbarred for being a scumbag, not from some conspiracy.

Thank you for yet another discrediting of the accounts surrounding Katrina's aftermath.

Ah hell, I'll just leave this here for amusement: http://www.leagle.com/decision/20081371582brfsupp2d789_11302.xml/O'DWYER v. LOUISIANA

Some highlights for a reader's digest version:

"The plaintiff is a licensed attorney. He has willfully crossed a line that should never have been approached by any member of the Bar of this Court. During its entire tenure on the bench, this Court has never witnessed an attorney's use of written unprofessional and derogatory language that rivals the plaintiffs in this matter. The plaintiff is formally advised that if, in the future, he includes in any document he files into the record any future language that is challenged by any other party and which the Court finds to be unprofessional or derogatory, the plaintiff will be subject to a fine of $1,000 for each word in the sentence containing offensive language, payable as the Court directs. To the extent that the plaintiff or any other party is recalling a party's own use of offensive language during the events involving the arrest and incarceration, inclusion of the language may be acceptable. To the extent the plaintiff is using offensive language directed to another person or party, however, it will be deemed sanctionable. To the extent that the plaintiffs language is obscene or unnecessarily offensive and directed to another party's alleged conduct, it will be deemed sanctionable."

Regarding fines/payments:

To the extent the plaintiff is using offensive language directed to another party or counsel, it will be deemed sanctionable. To the extent that the plaintiffs language is obscene or unnecessarily offensive and directed to another party's alleged conduct, it will be deemed sanctionable. Violation of this order shall result in sanctions, including a fine of $1,000 for each word in the sentence containing offensive language and dismissal, if appropriate.

Regarding timely arrest: (Hurricane Katrina was Aug 23, 2005 FYI...)

In this motion, the plaintiff challenges as defamatory and false statements made by Justice Kimball that he "openly bore arms" and that he was arrested in December 2006 and June 2007.

Justice Kimball argues that the motion is untimely and moot, and that this Court lacks jurisdiction because of the notice of appeal filed by her. The Court agrees with Justice Kimball that it lacks jurisdiction over her and notes that, in addition, this motion raises a factual dispute that is not properly raised on a motion to strike. This motion lacks merit.

So yeah, he's an idiot, a scumbag, a disbarred attorney, a liar, and a criminal. I don't see any reason to add "victim" to this list.

Welll.....It all depends on which article one believes. NOLA reports one thing....Tulane Newspaper reported the following.

http://www.tulanelink.com/stories/o'dwyer_10a.htm

The O'Dwyer "Problem"

On Sunday, September 11, 2005, twelve days after Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans, a special meeting was convened in the Baton Rouge office of State Attorney General Charles C. Foti Jr., the chief law enforcement officer for the State of Louisiana. Among the attendees were State Supreme Court Justice Catherine D. "Kitty" Kimball, Louisiana State Bar Association President Frank X. Neuner Jr., and Chief Disciplinary Counsel of the Louisiana Supreme Court's Attorney Disciplinary Board, Charles B. Plattsmier Jr.

During the meeting, the discussion turned to the angry anti-government remarks made by New Orleans attorney Ashton R. O'Dwyer Jr. when, in the aftermath of the storm, he was confronted by uniformed members of a militia who threatened to evacuate him by force from his well-provisioned St. Charles Avenue home. His was among the 20% of New Orleans properties that were situated on relatively high ground and only minimally affected by the storm.

O'Dwyer's protests had been videotaped by the media and widely broadcast by the major networks on national news. The notoriety was considered unacceptable by the assembled state officials, who were shocked at the degree of agitation displayed by a well-known and respected attorney.

"Somebody has got to shut that guy up," Justice Kimball is alleged to have declared, "he's giving us all a bad name." In response, Plattsmier, an appointee of the Louisiana Supreme Court, allegedly agreed to take care of the O'Dwyer "problem" by contacting some of O'Dwyer's partners at the law firm of Lemle and Kelleher, L.L.P., where O'Dwyer had worked for 35 years.

Three days later, on September 14, 2005, one of O'Dwyer's law partners, Charles R. Talley, let slip during a telephone conversation with O'Dwyer, that he and at least one other law partner, Joseph L. "Larry" Shea Jr., had understood from Plattsmier that O'Dwyer's law license would be suspended if he continued to speak to the media and refused to give up his guns and vacate his property, and may already be suspended. The next day, another of O'Dwyer's partners, William R. Forrester Jr., hand delivered a letter [PDF] from Lemle and Kelleher's Chairman, Ernest L. Edwards Jr., warning that O'Dwyer's partnership in the firm could be terminated if he did not stop giving interviews to the press, or failed to cooperate with government authorities, or did not surrender his guns. The courtesy copy sent to Plattsmier suggested that Plattsmier was the source of the directive.

The terms of Edward's letter were particularly disturbing inasmuch as Edwards, a lawyer, obviously knew that they violated O'Dwyer's constitutional guarantee of free speech as well as his right to bear arms. (Forty-six percent of Louisiana households owned a firearm in 2006, according to data released by the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, an arm of the federal Center for Disease Control and Prevention.) The next day, on September 16, 2005, O'Dwyer informed Talley during a telephone conversation that he is resigning from his partnership with Lemle and Kelleher. Talley confirmed that the firm's ultimatum had been at the request of Plattsmier. Talley and Shea are no longer associated with Lemle and Kelleher.

On September 17, 2005, O'Dwyer was visited by a delegation composed of State Bar Association President Frank Neuner and two members of the Louisiana Department of Justice, one of whom was Assistant Attorney General Burton Guidry. O'Dwyer learned that they had just come from inspecting the temporary jail facility at the Union Passenger Terminal and were now warning him that complaints about him had been made "at the highest levels of government." That same evening, O'Dwyer was host to 8 to 10 members of the New York City Police Department, who were on special assignment in New Orleans. They were the only police officers who responded to his invitation, posted at the Uptown 2nd District Police Station, to be dinner guests at his home. The invitation was an outgrowth of the camaraderie that O'Dwyer had enjoyed in evenings on his patio with Blackwater guards who were free from their duties at neighboring Uptown residences.

======= I don't feel like copying and pasting the entire article....so the rest of it is in that above link. But like I said...It all depends on who you believe...NOLA.com...or the Tulane article.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    eh, I didn't copy from a media article. I copied his motion filed with the appeals court, so I'll presume thats a credible source since he's the one that filed it and all.

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    eh, I didn't copy from a media article. I copied his motion filed with the appeals court, so I'll presume thats a credible source since he's the one that filed it and all.

My bad...and FWIW...I totally agreed from the get go....The man obviously has a drinking problem IMO. His motions show as much. Very unprofessional and the language is not credible of a lawyer.

That said...he was arrested at his house. And I do think that the powers to be at the time were fed up with his ranting and raving on National TV.

Yet...That does not make it right IMO to arrest him and remove him from his own front lawn. IMO...that sort of thing is an abuse of power. Too many politicians have a habit of doing that crap. Reminds me of Letton's comment that is against the law for a reporter to knock on the door of an ex-United State Justice Dept Attorney. It BS

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My bad...and FWIW...I totally agreed from the get go....The man obviously has a drinking problem IMO. His motions show as much. Very unprofessional and the language is not credible of a lawyer.

That said...he was arrested at his house. And I do think that the powers to be at the time were fed up with his ranting and raving on National TV.

Yet...That does not make it right IMO to arrest him and remove him from his own front lawn. IMO...that sort of thing is an abuse of power. Too many politicians have a habit of doing that crap. Reminds me of Letton's comment that is against the law for a reporter to knock on the door of an ex-United State Justice Dept Attorney. It BS

umm, it IS against the law to be on private property if the owner doesn't want you there- USJD or not. :dunno:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I have a question.

Okay, the guy is a complete disgrace, wingnut, unprofessional, etc.

How is it that he practiced law for the same (presumably) respectable law firm (if such a thing exists) for 25 years. AND he was a PARTNER.

Am I supposed to believe he was righteous one day, and the next he's scum? Something smells a lot like 3 day old crawfish shells in July.

Any thoughts?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have a question.

Okay, the guy is a complete disgrace, wingnut, unprofessional, etc.

How is it that he practiced law for the same (presumably) respectable law firm (if such a thing exists) for 25 years. AND he was a PARTNER.

Am I supposed to believe he was righteous one day, and the next he's scum? Something smells a lot like 3 day old crawfish shells in July.

Any thoughts?

you ever met an attorney?

well, meet 9 or 10 of them. you'll understand.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom