Katrina Gun Confiscation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    The holocaust didn't happen either. The Eyeranian shrimp, Imatittyjob told me.

Exactly! What the hell are people smoking around here? Maybe everyone (including you and me) are just being facetious.

But hell, what can I expect from a thread discussing the "coniscation." NO GUNS WERE CONISCATED.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Gun-confiscation didn't happen, just like the holocaust didn't happen, just like 9/11 didn't happen, just like the moon landings didn't happen.

Seriously people?

You really don't believe it?

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/fact-sheets/2007/state-emergency-powers-vs-the-right.aspx

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/n.../nra,-louisiana-congressional-leaders-em.aspx

Are these just lies? Total ********?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2005/sep/23/20050923-105240-4724r/

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/08/national/nationalspecial/08cnd-storm.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I could keep finding articles from news organizations. Are they just spreading lies, trying to scare the sheeple, or whatever other tin foil conspiracies you might have?

Exactly! What the hell are people smoking around here? Maybe everyone (including you and me) are just being facetious.

But hell, what can I expect from a thread discussing the "coniscation." NO GUNS WERE CONISCATED.

You must be a lawyer. Do you practice criminal law?

JR1572

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Well FWIW, precisely what he said was 'No one will be able to be armed; we will take all guns.'

Now unless that's some sort of "code talk", I'm not sure what else he could have meant. :dunno:

So I will believe that was his INTENT- regardless of whether he actually was able to pull it off, or not.

Thats what I also remember. I never heard about the NG taking guns. It was the NOPD...and it was widely reported on. Now...did I witness it firsthand.. NO

But I am pretty sure that the NOPD did it to a few people. In fact...I think they even arrested a lawyer at his house on St Charles Avenue. His name was O'Dwyer. And he has BEEN REAL VOCAL.

They even threw him in the temp jail for a few days. And from what I remember...most of it began over the NOPD taking his shotgun. He recited the law...and how he was within his rights to have a shotgun and stay in his home which was not flooded. . They said F you...and arrested him.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Police State Comes to New Orleans

A Louisiana Manual for Emasculating the Constitution
    Eighty percent of New Orleans was inundated by the flood waters that washed over its streets in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and forced affected residents to flee. Those with properties on higher ground had other options. The more affluent were able to contract with Blackwater and Shin Bet mercenaries to protect their valuable assets while they complied with Mayor Nagin's evacuation orders. There were others, however, on high ground who chose to remain and protect their homes by themselves. Some of these holdouts resisted forced evacuation with little consequence, whereas others were singled out for particularly harsh treatment. New Orleans attorney Ashton R. O'Dwyer Jr. was among the latter.

See the entire article.

http://www.tulanelink.com/stories/o'dwyer_10a.htm

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    I was down there for 4 months with the LANG and I can understand how responding personnel may have acted in ignorance of local laws and unfortunately constitutional rights that they should have known. There was not much leadership or guidance at the time and those whom we were looking to for answers were clueless. Our state Infantry Combat Team was just returning from Iraq so we were short their manpower, training and experience which may of helped our presence and response effort. Bottom line Katrina was a great learning tool in all aspects.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    You really don't believe it?

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/fact-sheets/2007/state-emergency-powers-vs-the-right.aspx

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/n.../nra,-louisiana-congressional-leaders-em.aspx

Are these just lies? Total ********?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2005/sep/23/20050923-105240-4724r/

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/08/national/nationalspecial/08cnd-storm.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I could keep finding articles from news organizations. Are they just spreading lies, trying to scare the sheeple, or whatever other tin foil conspiracies you might have?
    Thoise articles really make my point for me. Did you read them? They're nothing but LaPierre making unsubstantiated claims. And the legal ruling simply made it illegal for police to take weapons from people who legally own and carry them. It does not say that those crimes had actually occurred. This is why it's so important to learn to read critically, and not accept the implications of a published piece without listening to what it actually says.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Thats what I also remember. I never heard about the NG taking guns. It was the NOPD...and it was widely reported on. Now...did I witness it firsthand.. NO

But I am pretty sure that the NOPD did it to a few people. In fact...I think they even arrested a lawyer at his house on St Charles Avenue. His name was O'Dwyer. And he has BEEN REAL VOCAL.

They even threw him in the temp jail for a few days. And from what I remember...most of it began over the NOPD taking his shotgun. He recited the law...and how he was within his rights to have a shotgun and stay in his home which was not flooded. . They said F you...and arrested him.

As others have stated previously in this thread, what more than likely happened is that several citizens legally carrying weapons were disarmed by authorities who had no rights to do so. This and the teams going into abandoned building to remove dangerous materials for the demolition teams then were repeated over and over an over through the media and spun up into "mass confiscations". What it was made to sound like was that people in their houses or on the street had their guns taken away and never returned. From my investigations, though it may have happened it would have been pretty rare. You have to remember - the world was coming apart, and the law enforcement was outnumbered and inexperienced when it came to dealing with a catastrophe on this scale.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I was in New Orleans the day after and we were encouraged to carry and defend ourselves with lethal force if we felt our lives were in immediate danger. I never witnessed any confiscations and we were picking up NOLA PD all day and giving them rides across downtown in the back of our Dodge Ram. I was a civilian at the time.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    As others have stated previously in this thread, what more than likely happened is that several citizens legally carrying weapons were disarmed by authorities who had no rights to do so. This and the teams going into abandoned building to remove dangerous materials for the demolition teams then were repeated over and over an over through the media and spun up into "mass confiscations". What it was made to sound like was that people in their houses or on the street had their guns taken away and never returned. From my investigations, though it may have happened it would have been pretty rare. You have to remember - the world was coming apart, and the law enforcement was outnumbered and inexperienced when it came to dealing with a catastrophe on this scale.
    I really don't think it was in the thousands. I do know that it happened to a few people.

Furthermore...If it happens to you...then its a big deal IMO. Ashton O'Dwyer was totally screwed by the system. Yes...the man probably drinks more than he should. And he probably was a little tipsy during Katrina.

That said...He was totally screwed and ended up getting thrown in jail for 3 days because he was on his property with a shotgun and ran his mouth off on national news. I have no doubt that he probably got very vocal with the cops. Yet...the facts remain that he was on his property....and ordered to give up his gun and evacuate.
    He refused. He was arrested and spent 3 days in jail.

So....IMO...Even if it happens to 1 person. Its just wrong and unacceptable.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    As well as the response to James in the Comment Section
    ....Classic Nolacopusmc :doh:
    Brannon LeBouef James • 11 months ago

Actually I think it shows you take things too literally and you think in absolute terms.

Also I think it displays your lack of reading comprehension and general common sense as I am relaying my experiences and most people understand without the statement having to be qualified that I was not at every point in space and time concurrently. Never mind the fact that in "realities #7", I used the term primarily which most people understand to mean the majority.

Furthermore, the use of the "mercenary" term makes the statement a compound which means you would have to believe that the people who were from Blackwater and were patrolling were also mercenaries.

Or it could be that you are in fact not telling the truth or do not know what you think you know.

Perhaps you should take the time to write down what your experiences were as well as the context.

You also may want to know who you are speaking about before you call their integrity into question, especially in light of your lack of compelling facts to prove otherwise.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I wish we could get all of his Katrina stories together and put them in one place, it would be the greatest collection of fictional short stories New Orleans has ever seen.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Katrina Gun Coniscation

I wish we could get all of his Katrina stories together and put them in one place, it would be the greatest collection of fictional short stories New Orleans has ever seen.

It would be a best seller in the "short stories" category.

JR1572

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    It would be a best seller in the "short stories" category.

JR1572

8zwXDXR.jpg

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

I prefer non-fiction, myself. If short statements count for anything, the statement made by the then-Chief of Police at 01:11 in the video below should have been disturbing to anyone who says they believe in the Second Amendment.

I for one am glad that he was removed from his position. This cannot be tolerated from public officials. Period.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I prefer non-fiction, myself. If short statements count for anything, the statement made by the then-Chief of Police at 01:11 in the video below should have been disturbing to anyone who says they believe in the Second Amendment.

I for one am glad that he was removed from his position. This cannot be tolerated from public officials. Period.

That's one of them! Good find, Heat!

"You never expect to do this in your own country!"

But YOU/they did!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom