The ATF is at it again!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Or the video from MAC where he basically talked about how dumb the ATF is and demonstrates how it works just like a buttstock. Kinda like the one right above where he talks about how stupid the ATF is because ALL 5.56 ammo can defeat typical police body armor. Yeah, that'll help.
    This this this..
    The guy makes a lot of good points. The majority of which I believe most responsible shooters already know. My problem is that he repeatedly expresses that any 5.56 ammo will defeat body armor (trauma plates excluded I would hope) and for LEOs' sake, I wish he wouldn't do that. But he may be missing the point. The whole concept of the "AP ammo and pistol" topic, as proposed by the ATF is just a guise to remove ammo (and later maybe firearms) from availability to the public. Back in the late 80's or maybe early 90's the SS109 rounds were actually cheaper than the Lake City M193 because of mil surp and factory overrun and missed bids. At the moment there's only about a 1-2 cent per round difference in the two and we are indeed on the cusp of another time of surplus, which the current price suggests. Mil surp 5.56 ammo quantities (foreign and domestic production) on hand are higher than that of commercially produced ammo when it comes to immediate availability. Of course, we know that mil spec ammo is made in these same factories, but in larger volume, and much of it is repackaged as commercial ammo. That's a large injection into the civilian market. If the military used and bought .22LR in the same quantities and the same rules applied, we would never have seen a "shortage" of .22LR available to the public.
    Another potential move on the part of the ATF might be to ban all military style or mil surp ammo. It was not long ago that the government decided that the military would no longer sell it's fired brass in bulk for reman'd ammo production, rather selling it for scrap metal. I'm not sure who decided that, but I believe I know the intended purpose.
    As for me, I've long tried to store about even numbers when it comes to 193 and 855. I find the 855 to be more accurate in the majority of my ARs but there are times when I only shoot 193 or some of the heavier loads depending on the targets I'm shooting or the rifle . Say what you will, 855 rounds do damage steel plate that otherwise may laugh at 193. So, for the moment, while the price is not through the roof, I will buy what I can.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    This ain't gonna happen. Order all you want. This ammo won't be banned. It does not meet the criteria, physically. It has a steel cap on the round, not a steel core.

No criteria, no ban.
    Correct on the criteria...but like the ATF has done in the past, using logic/data/common sense is a non factor when it comes to these clowns. Hope I'm wrong, but this looks like it's already gonna be a done deal.
    This 30day comment period is basically a window of time for companies to clear out all their stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    This ain't gonna happen. Order all you want. This ammo won't be banned. It does not meet the criteria, physically. It has a steel cap on the round, not a steel core.

No criteria, no ban.

Im not so certain. I hope it doesn't happen, but I believe they will ban it until someone challenges them in court and wins. Which will take plenty of time and money.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Very good video. It's amazing we have let the BATF go on so long without any oversight. This is a total abuse of their powers and the entire agency should be disbanded.

You guys are right, them declaring M855 as AP ammo makes about as much sense as them saying a Sig brace magically turns into a buttstock when shouldered. Lol that would never happen.

Let's be honest. The repeated pics on the Internet from derps probably didn't help the brace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or the video from MAC where he basically talked about how dumb the ATF is and demonstrates how it works just like a buttstock. Kinda like the one right above where he talks about how stupid the ATF is because ALL 5.56 ammo can defeat typical police body armor. Yeah, that'll help.

Correct on the criteria...but like the ATF has done in the past, using logic/data/common sense is a non factor when it comes to these clowns. Hope I'm wrong, but this looks like it's already gonna be a done deal.
    This 30day comment period is basically a window of time for companies to clear out all their stock.

What seems to be missing in all this banter is where is the legal Constitutional authority of the dumbass and his minions to subvert these laws. I have been hearing how this idiot has been breaking this law and that law, and he is doing this outside of the Constitution and that outside of the Constitution, but there is no vehicle to stop it?

Case and point; dumbass proclaims that 5 million illegal aliens (felons under our Constitution mind you), can stay here and get driver's licenses and on demand ER care and public schooling, and jobs, for starters. Every one that is not a ideological zombie says he has overstepped his authority, and broken the law; even Constitutional scholars and judges, yet the best remedy is to cut funding from DHS?

Something is extremely worrisome and wrong with that. People don't cause this crap by posting pictures and videos. This is a high jacking of the law! This is really a far left rabble rouser that has decided to just throw **** against the wall to see if it sticks. This knucklehead doesn't care about the Constitution! He couldn't care less what traditional America wants. And he is poking this country in the eye.

And guess what I see? I see a lot of it sticking because there is so much American apathy when we should be dragging this moron from the White House and throwing him in prison.

If the best vehicle the American people have to stop malfeasance in the White House is slashing funding, we have far larger problems than idiots posting pictures of Sig Braces and green tip ammo.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    I know one thing...the possibility that the availablitity of this cartridge being available to the public for purchase goes away is for real. This would not just be a shortage...So if anyone wants some/more of this stuff, they better buy it now.
    I prefer the XM193, but have plenty of the M855 stacked deep from last year.
    And it's two types of ppl buying it like crazy:
    A.) ppl that want it before its possibly no longer available for purchase.
    B.) ppl that bought a Sh!@ ton Friday night to resell at $1.00 a rd(or more) when ATF pulls their unconstitutional move.

Just like when .22ammo was bad (Still is somewhat)...ppl have a choice on whether or not they over pay for ammo from ppl. But think about this...If it is not longer available and goes away for good...what happens to the street value of these Green Tips? Does it stay at .36-.46 per round? I think we all know the answer to that.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    [ATF will accept comments on this proposal until March 16, 2015. Email or write ATF today and tell them you oppose this unnecessary, misguided and damaging ban on commonly used ammunition for America's most popular sporting rifles.

You can send your comments to APAComments@atf.gov]

Contact ATF: Oppose 5.56 M855 Ball Ammunition Ban
    by NSSF | Monday, February 16th, 2015

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I don't think our 2nd amendment rights should be based on 'Americas Sporting Rifles'

Bingo! The 2nd Amendment is not a hunting or sporting Amendment. It was intended to give the civilian population the ability to defend against criminals, domestic enemies, foreign invaders, and even our own government if becomes tyrannical like England. A separate part of the Constitution provides for a standing army and navy(we would otherwise be the only country in the world to pass a special provision to allow the military to have firearms.)

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    To protect the lives and safety of law enforcement officers from the threat posed by
    ammunition capable of penetrating a protective vest when fired from a handgun.

The first line.

How many officers have been killed by M855. [ edited to add 7n6 ?]

Once again, using their same dishonest tactics.

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Seems to me that any round shot out of a firearm (whether it be a handgun or rifle) when aimed at a police officer has the possibility to be a cop killing cartridge. :dunno:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    To protect the lives and safety of law enforcement officers from the threat posed by
    ammunition capable of penetrating a protective vest when fired from a handgun.

The first line.

How many officers have been killed by M855. [ edited to add 7n6 ?

Once again, using their same dishonest tactics.

That reads like Nazi propaganda. What else can we expect from a government that borrowed legislation from Nazi Germany? What do you expect from a government that passes gun laws at the behest of the KKK?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Looks like the run has already started. I had several choices Friday night and well into Saturday morning as I ordered, debated, ordered more.... Now the 3 vendors I have been ordering from lately are showing none in stock....so I bought 10k rounds of SS 109 bullets in bulk with free shipping at 9.8 cents each. And this afternoon it's no longer in stock as well.
    I reckon if it hits a buck per round I'll sell off 8 or 10 thousand rounds. But I promise not to do it here.
    7bc1e49bf8b49b6bdff0c1e5da11ef73.jpg

d562bc399351e55a2e1827725a8b5ac3.jpg
    9ebb031beaa5a9be81acc22cfdfd4c88.jpg
    66a4df79ef37809d980090638d4c85f2.jpg
    abb1b60818a7b3c239a46ccc3728cb1a.jpg

96d9f84cc54ff45f52b99091d06f6fc6.jpg

Last edited:

gjones381

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Baton rouge
    ATF to ban m855 green tip. They taking your opinions. Email them!

CONTACT THE ATF to comment on the proposal:
    Take a moment to make your voices heard on this topic! Please be polite in your comment and indicate M855 ammunition has a sporting purpose.

E-mail: APAComments@atf.gov
    Fax: (202) 648-9741.
    Mail: Denise Brown
    Mailstop 6N-602
    Office of Regulatory Affairs
    Enforcement Programs and Services – ATF
    99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226
    ATTN: AP Ammo Comments

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/contact-atf-oppose-m855-ammo-ban/#ixzz3S2vuZUaO

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    I thought the unloaded projectiles were illegal :dunno:

IV. PREVIOUS EXEMPTIONS
    As explained above, in 1986, ATF held that 5.56mm projectiles in SS109 and M855
    cartridges were exempt. Further, in 1992, ATF held that 30-06 M2AP cartridges were also
    exempt. In each case, ATF found that, *it is well documented* that the respective ammunition
    *has been recognized as being suitable for target shooting with rifles due to its accuracy.* Id.
    These cartridges were originally produced for the military and were only later adopted by
    civilians for sporting purposes. When assembled into a complete cartridge, the projectiles were
    exempt, but ATF did not exempt the projectiles before the cartridges were assembled.

Applying the sporting purposes framework set-forth above, the 5.56mm projectile that
    ATF exempted in 1986 does not qualify for an exemption because that projectile when loaded
    into SS109 and M855 cartridges may be used in a handgun other than a single-shot handgun.
    Specifically, 5.56mm projectiles loaded into the SS109 and M855 cartridges are commonly used

Last edited:

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    I debated too Friday night, made up my mind Saturday morning all my sites I like were sold out...so I cleaned out all the Walmarts & Academies in Jefferson, lol, got over 5000 rounds. Paid Walmart & Academy prices (which aren't horrible) prices but I'm done. Now if/when they ban it I won't be kicking myself. Saturday night I saw CTD selling 90 round packs for $60. They're always the first to start gouging.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom