Coffee

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    Are you guys measuring by weight like they suggest? They say 17-1 or even 12-1. I can’t take it that strong!
    My wife and I are trying the sample size and favorite so far is Brazil Minus Gerald at a 23-1 ratio brewed on. Ninja with the “classic” setting. (35g coffee for a 28oz pot)
    (Yeah, I’m an engineer and get carried away!)

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    I am a straight black coffee craver- use dark roast in a french press pot - after trying many other brew methods - chemex, etc, etc. Burr hand-grind specialties for later. Folgers Black Silk for daily am - haven't found any other reasonably priced, consistent taste morning wake up. Tried many excessively priced beans, but disappointed with flavor. Best I ever tried was a dark roast Kenyan blend from a local out of business vendor several years ago. Suggestions?
    To quote an old coffee connoisseur/acquaintance "... it don't take near much water as most people think to make good coffee..."

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Are you guys measuring by weight like they suggest? They say 17-1 or even 12-1. I can’t take it that strong!
    My wife and I are trying the sample size and favorite so far is Brazil Minus Gerald at a 23-1 ratio brewed on. Ninja with the “classic” setting. (35g coffee for a 28oz pot)
    (Yeah, I’m an engineer and get carried away!)
    I weigh my beans every single morning on a food scale. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but whatever LOL

Most days I make 60oz of water and use around 85-100g of coffee, depending on the roast.

I am a straight black coffee craver- use dark roast in a french press pot - after trying many other brew methods - chemex, etc, etc. 12-14 oz +/_ am. Burr hand-grind specialties for later. Folgers Black Silk for daily am - haven't found any reasonably priced, consistent taste morning wake up. Tried many excessively priced beans, but disappointed with flavor. Best I ever tried was a dark roast Kenyan blend from a local out of business vendor several years ago. Suggestions?
    Are you grinding your beans fresh? If not, you are going to see a MASSIVE increase in flavor and freshness by getting 1) fresh roasted beans and 2) by grinding in a burr grinder.

Try this one (link on Amazon) - it's a Dark Roasted Kenyan blend. 2lb bag of beans for $26 bucks. Yes, it's more expensive than your Folgers, but it's going to blow it away.

Just make sure you click the "Other Sellers on Amazon" button and change your seller from Amazon to the actual business. The reason is that Amazon gets the beans fresh roasted to their warehouse, but they could sit there for weeks or months. If you order from the business, they roast to order and get them to you in 5-10 days. Much, much better.
    1723001386671.png

If you don't have a grinder, you can get away with a cheap $30 burr grinder like this one (link)

That being said, a $60 one would give you better control over the grind and would be more consistent. Link here.

Anyway, now it's 10:30 at night and I want a cup of coffee LOL

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    I weigh my beans every single morning on a food scale. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but whatever LOL

Most days I make 60oz of water and use around 85-100g of coffee, depending on the roast.

Are you grinding your beans fresh? If not, you are going to see a MASSIVE increase in flavor and freshness by getting 1) fresh roasted beans and 2) by grinding in a burr grinder.

Try this one (link on Amazon) - it's a Dark Roasted Kenyan blend. 2lb bag of beans for $26 bucks. Yes, it's more expensive than your Folgers, but it's going to blow it away.

Just make sure you click the "Other Sellers on Amazon" button and change your seller from Amazon to the actual business. The reason is that Amazon gets the beans fresh roasted to their warehouse, but they could sit there for weeks or months. If you order from the business, they roast to order and get them to you in 5-10 days. Much, much better.
    View attachment 170179

If you don't have a grinder, you can get away with a cheap $30 burr grinder like this one (link)

That being said, a $60 one would give you better control over the grind and would be more consistent. Link here.

Anyway, now it's 10:30 at night and I want a cup of coffee LOL
    I do grind fresh when I find beans that I really like. Been thru several electric grinders of varying price - most did not last a year. Bought a quality adjustable hand grinder that works great - I'll check out the link on grinder and definitely order that Kenyan. Many thanks!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I do grind fresh when I find beans that I really like. Been thru several electric grinders of varying price - most did not last a year. Bought a quality adjustable hand grinder that works great - I'll check out the link on grinder and definitely order that Kenyan. Many thanks!
    Let me know how you like it!!
    You're right , it does sound crazy ..
    Dude McD's has some good coffee! Honestly I prefer it to Starbucks.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I love my coffee. I very recently watched a "How they do that" segment on coffee and everything @AustinBR writes here on coffee is spot on. Grind your own beans, brew immediately. Oxygen is the mortal enemy of ground beans. Airtight container for coffee storage is a must. On that show they said (Italian coffee manufacturer) ground coffee loses key components and flavor in < 8 hours. They pack their coffee for shipment using nitrogen as an inert gas environment. No oxygen!

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I'll drink pond water before I spend a penny in Starbucks . McDonalds is a little higher on the scale .
    I've never spent a dime in a Starbucks anywhere. They line up in their vehicles to buy here in Hammond. There is a new place on Hwy 90 "Seven Brew". Judging from the drive up lines in the morning they will make millions selling coffee, some times 15-20 vehicles in multiple service lines. I visit PJ's Coffee sometimes. Local folks, great coffee and service.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    I've never spent a dime in a Starbucks anywhere. They line up in their vehicles to buy here in Hammond. There is a new place on Hwy 90 "Seven Brew". Judging from the drive up lines in the morning they will make millions selling coffee, some times 15-20 vehicles in multiple service lines. I visit PJ's Coffee sometimes. Local folks, great coffee and service.
    John, im from Washington state lived in a medium sized city on the east side of the state. No exaggeration when i tell you there are starbucks littering the streets you would astounded at how many starbucks, Dutch brothers, Roasters, and every other local coffee house can be supported by 150k people.

Arminius

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2023
    Pineville,La.
    I buy ONLY AMERICAN grown ,picked , roasted , packed , shipped , coffee , which means Hawaiian , roasted BLACK ; 16 oz. measure of coffee per 14 oz. of water , steeped 10 minutes in press pot ; works for me YMMV . . . . .

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    Let me know how you like it!!

Dude McD's has some good coffee! Honestly I prefer it to Starbucks.
    Don't patronize StarF..ks either - their dark roast like what I think burnt pine needles would taste like. Visited Amazon and saw several Kenyan D.R.'s. - which one have you experienced to be roast to order? Could not make a selection. Thanks for your input.

Arminius

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2023
    Pineville,La.
    I take my coffee the way I take my chow ; if I don't make it , I don't consume it ; never been in coffee house , don't see no reason too ; besides , they don't make coffee strong e-nuff ; black coffee is 'sposed to be BLACK !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    AndrewP
    Top Bottom