Glock Pheromones?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    We know...

Word of advise.

"Trolling" is NOT a good way to get people to answer your questions and not to ignore you.

I wasn't trolling. I think Glocks are solid reliable guns but I still don't like them. That comment about the filling in knowledge void only held true for ballistics. I don't need a veteran to tell me glocks have a garbage trigger and are overrated. I have my mitts to tell me that and the mitts don't lie. Although I did get to tryout a glock with a ton of modifications and I might consider it above the sigma but I still think one 1911 trumps two glocks, one sigma, and a partridge in a pear tree. :mamoru:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    How about I've been a paramedic for 16 years and treated hundreds of gun shot wounds in the field? But as for statistical data it's easy to find use your search engine.

Dave

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I did use my search engine I am not questioning your experience just would like some new stuff to read. Living in NOLA for one year I solute you for being a paramedic for longer than 24hrs.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    LSP972 would be the one to ask about that data. He's really quite an expert on the subject. Including several published articles.

Dave

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I believe that in real world shootings (LSP972 help me out here) that the 45 acp ran in the high 90% range for stops. The 9mm Luger round ran in the low 90% range with quality modern ammunition. In my opinion either is a good viable defense round and MAY be enough to stop a threat. As for how much ammunition to carry you guys make me laugh. I carry a 120 round clip in a bandoleer, another 3,000 in loaded mags in my car, two 1911's, 3 sig sauers, 1 tazer, 2 cans of pepper spray, and a machete. At some point you start to look like a scared little man who needs to overcompensate. Twelve rounds will work for me. Thank you. But I think we've now strayed pretty far from the original post idea.

And I've transported two people just this month with GSW's.

Dave

One chart had the .45 at 96%, .40 at 94% and the 9mm at 91% with premium ammunition in each.

Last edited:

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    I have kept my mouth shut for a long time on this one, but I do have one question. Please dont jump all over me as this is not meant to be inflammatory.

Why do so many Special Forces and Special Police Units use the 1911 as their sidearm of choice?

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I dont know who carries what as far as the "special" forces, but in my real world experience the guys I knew who carried 1911's stopped because their $1000 handguns kept rusting. With belt space being what it is, I'm pretty much limited to two spare mags, an extra 16 rds isnt much in a prolonged firefight, which while not typical of a police shooting, certainly isn't unheard of and isn't impossible.

Last edited:

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    I know Marine Force Recon, LAPD SWAT, FBI HRT, and Delta all use the 1911 platform. I just want to know why the guys that actually get to pick the guns they want, as opposed to having to take whatever is issued, would pick a 1911.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I know Marine Force Recon, LAPD SWAT, FBI HRT, and Delta all use the 1911 platform. I just want to know why the guys that actually get to pick the guns they want, as opposed to having to take whatever is issued, would pick a 1911.

Military officers and LEO as individuals rarely choose what gun they carry. They belong to a unit and carry the gun that is issued to them. The 1911 is carried by a very small percentage of Military and LEO. Not knocking the 1911.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Don't believe this statement. I am supposed to believe that 115g +p is going to do an equal amount of tissue damage as a 230g+p projectile. I would need hard scientific data to prove it please provide a link. I am always open to more reading especially on such an interesting subject.

Dawg 23 provided me with the information about the ballistic gelatin tests and I researched it on the Net. The difference in penetration for the 9mm DPX was as I remember less than a 1/4" difference.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Instead of asking "why Glock?", ask yourself "why not Glock?"
    I believe Glocks are popular for various reasons that include the following: Ease of use, simplicity, reliability, and cost effectiveness. There just aren't many pistols out there that offer such a great combination of these things. Sure, people will always heap praise on the pistol of their choice, but you can't argue with numbers. These things are popular because they work. Plus, chances are you won't waltz into the local gun shop & pick up a 1911 in .357 Sig....Glock offers all the major auto pistol calibers in an affordable, reliable, easy to learn system that requires VERY LITTLE MAINTENANCE.
    As is the case with feral hogs, you may as well get used to them, because they are here to stay....
    And no, I'm not a rap fan either.....:rofl:

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    That is why I only shoot stationary objects. So I will kindly ask the target to hold still.

I actually carry two 1911's believe it or not. A four inch Kimber Eclipse strong side at 3 o'clok and a 3 inch Kimber Tactical Carry (ambi saftey) small of my back for my left hand. The way I figure it I will die blazing with some pretty freaking awesome guns.

God I love this country and God I love 1911's and Dawg I am not old I am young (24) so there goes your theory right out the window. That might help explain the ignorance though......;)

Listen I am not claiming I know everything. "All I know is that I know nothing." Why do you think I joined a forum and am discussing this with everyone. Thanks for posting the link and try not to get to frustrated with me. I will ask for a G19 and low light simulation setup for christmas.

3. A shot to the spinal column which can result in the lack of use of the arms/legs/both. This isn't worth addressing b/c of the inconsistent ability to hit the spine considering the size of the target and the penetration necessary to accomplish the hit.

I might not be good with gun ballistics (reading the provided sights) but I do know a small amount of anatomy you don't have to hit spinal cord there are several plexuses in the human body which are adequate to stop motor to various areas. Not being a smart ass just really want to know what your input on damaging those would be. I actually believe that the best place to aim on a person would be upper left quadrant. Hopefully hit heart. Miss high hit brachial plexus (loss of arm motor function and sensation on that side) and lung. Miss low hit a lobe of the liver maybe branch of the portal vein. Miss center hit the Spinal Column and/or spinal nerves and miss left your screwed.

Believe it I am wholly and adamantly ignorant about this subject and I am looking to veterans to fill in the voids in my knowledge. All I can be is willing to learn someone needs to point me in the right direction. Geez

Maybe I am a fool ................. probably not .............. but I guess anything is possible. I definitely act foolish sometimes.

Once again I am getting a rise out of everyone. I enjoy the reading but stupid and/or a fool does not describe me. Ignorant probably because ignorance implies lack of knowledge or information. I can obtain this information from those whom are more experienced than I and the all powerful internet. I really do enjoy learning new facts and information on this subject not particularly the garbage propaganda people spew about gun brands but the object information backed by data. Thanks for the input.

I wasn't trolling. I think Glocks are solid reliable guns but I still don't like them. That comment about the filling in knowledge void only held true for ballistics. I don't need a veteran to tell me glocks have a garbage trigger and are overrated. I have my mitts to tell me that and the mitts don't lie. Although I did get to tryout a glock with a ton of modifications and I might consider it above the sigma but I still think one 1911 trumps two glocks, one sigma, and a partridge in a pear tree. :mamoru:

Good idea but before you do can you tell me where to find this Real World Shooting data? Thanks

oh yeah..

No thanks on the xd 40 I hear they are great guns but the only reason I am looking for a 9mm is so I can shoot it cheaply. I am even interested in a walther pps or p22.

I think that ALL of this stems from THIS question....

I keep having this reoccurring dream that I am in a situation where I need to defend my wife. I pull my compact 1911 from my holster and forget to disengage the safety. I carry a 3 inch Kimber Tactical carry. Do you think I should write it off as a superfluous dream or a subconscious indication that I am not training enough. I know I am not training adequately. I don't know how anyone living in New Orleans could train adequately. I used to live in a rural area in Florida where I could train in my buddies back yard practicing tactical shooting, unholstering, moving etc. Now I go to a range and can't even unholster my weapon and shoot.

I am literally considering dropping the 1911's for a pull and shoot type of weapon system. Example Glock, sig p250, XD, revolver, etc

I also need a training regiment or something because I feel like I shouldn't be carrying when I have almost no time to go practice. I am pressed for time and I know most people who say they are pressed for time can spare a few hours everyday. I am not one of those people. I am a medical student who is putting in insane hours. I need a training regiment that can be implemented with my 15 hour workdays during the week. Maybe something I could do for around 2 and 1/2 hrs on the weekend. Also money is a factor. Being a student.

I understand this might be an unsolvable problem so any help would be greatly appreciated.

It was posted HERE

Last edited:

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU

Make sure not to pass up my question please...

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Now guys I hate to be a stick in the mud. But reliability isn't the only reason police departments and military forces select firearms. There are a great deal of other factors that also influence that decision. There vast numbers of semi automatic pistols capable of GLOCK reliability these days.

Dave

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Now guys I hate to be a stick in the mud. But reliability isn't the only reason police departments and military forces select firearms. There are a great deal of other factors that also influence that decision. There vast numbers of semi automatic pistols capable of GLOCK reliability these days.

Dave

How many can you name that are in the same price range?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Torture test exist and have been well documented for all mainstream brands of polymer pistols.

I think the bottom line is that people find security in numbers. The sure amount of Glocks owners out there is enough of a selling point that they don't even need to pay for advertisement. So this is why you have those who know nothing about guns saying that they want a Glock. Why? B/c it's reliable and holds lots of rounds etc.etc. and the story goes on. Even though you listed in the OP why people choose them, people here still repeated the same in their post. Just like Post #2.

Glocks are defintely great guns. It's Man's willingness to be and own the best that get's in the way. I mean would you really expect to hear any different on a forum where the majority own Glocks? Heck the first reply you got was from a guy who owns 6 of them :mamoru:

Like Al Capone said, "No matter what they're talking about, they're talking about money."

Then we all pick on LE and the Military for buying cheap **** for our LEO's and Service members. The good old saying of "From the lowest Bidder" Ha Ha Har har .....
    YET when a man owns something that the LE or Military is using all of a sudden it's God's Right Hand! "Don't you know that Cops use Glocks? They must be AWESOME!" :rolleyes:

So from what I can tell most folks own Glocks b/c they are reliable, durable, and cheap in price. Plus they probably know at least 5 other people that own one too so they feel comfortable about their purchase.

I know some folks who will never buy a Glock for the sheer purpose of the attitude of most Glock owners. I can understand that too.

Some don't buy them b/c Glock is not an American Company, nor is it's owners. Good point there too.

Of course this is all just IMO ;)

D

Top Bottom