M-16 VS AK-47.....Again

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    This seems to be an issue of beating a dead horse. We are comparing two weapon systems that are built upon different design principles and philosophies of use from two different superpowers. They are only alike in the fact that, in their military configurations, these rifles are "assault rifles". One fires a thirty-caliber round descendent from the 7.92 Kurz round of German fame. Its arch rival fires a round of compromise that can't defeat armor, but is fairly effective in flesh. One can be beat to death, resurrected for cobbled, cannibalized parts of other rifles of its brethren's manufacture from other countries, work clogged up with debris, and still fire at the sacrifice of accuracy; the other is a whiz-bang machine that can shoot a two-inch group in its standard configuration, but is deathly afraid of getting dirty, like a prissy prom queen. Which is better? What do you want? What does the misson require? these should dictate your choice of rifle, not petty arguments.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    This seems to be an issue of beating a dead horse. We are comparing two weapon systems that are built upon different design principles and philosophies of use from two different superpowers. They are only alike in the fact that, in their military configurations, these rifles are "assault rifles". One fires a thirty-caliber round descendent from the 7.92 Kurz round of German fame. Its arch rival fires a round of compromise that can't defeat armor, but is fairly effective in flesh. One can be beat to death, resurrected for cobbled, cannibalized parts of other rifles of its brethren's manufacture from other countries, work clogged up with debris, and still fire at the sacrifice of accuracy; the other is a whiz-bang machine that can shoot a two-inch group in its standard configuration, but is deathly afraid of getting dirty, like a prissy prom queen. Which is better? What do you want? What does the misson require? these should dictate your choice of rifle, not petty arguments.

1. 5.56 SUUUUUX in flesh.
    2. We do these for fun.
    3. When you can carry one... it matters.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    How is this?

1 round on target, one round high, but on target, 3rd round misses. (If you don't know what you are doing)
    If you DO know what you are doing... you can get whatever you want out of a FA.
    The 3 shot Burst was the beginning of the modern attempt to make hardware replace training.

If you release it quickly (I usedta could get single shots out of the M249 SAW) your next trigger pull gets you the remainder of the 3 round burst (So if the first time is 2 rounds, the second is one, before resetting to 3 rounds again)

As to this 240, RPD etc...

PKM is THE BEST general Purpose MG out there.

END OF DISCUSSION!
    (Few with beltfed experience will argue with me....)
    Your fingers are faster then mine. I have a hard time touching trigger on M249 without 5 rounds coming out with work could get it to 3 but could not single fire it although others could. I still qualify with it and did it just walking the line of targets back and fourth and found this to be easier for me. I can also qualify on 300m pop up with burst on just as easy as semi but it does take more rounds but I'm sure there are more rounds on target also which I'd have to asume would be more lethel. In theater weapon on semi so didn't have to explain why shot burst. I've watched run away 240's expend a unreasonable amount of ammo as coax gun on abrams and am here to say it's no stick in the mud either.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    I agree, Nomad, that the 5.56 is inadequate. I was trying not to offend those who live and rise for the compromise round.
    Aren't some of the new loadings better at shredding flesh?

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I have AR's and AK's. No one rifle can be everything. That assembly demonstration was funny. Know what that tells me. The M16 is engineered better. :chuckles:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I agree, Nomad, that the 5.56 is inadequate. I was trying not to offend those who live and rise for the compromise round.
    Aren't some of the new loadings better at shredding flesh?

Only thing I've ever shot anybody with is SS109.

Not gonna speak about other rounds I don't know about, and Not gonna carry a 5.56 ever again by choice.

-Just occurred to me... I should put my AR up for sale!

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    images
    It SUUUUUUX to get shot with either.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    In fairness that dude sucked at field striping AR and cinder blocks kinda suck for a comparison and they didn't mention weather that was plain jane 55gr ball or 62 grain pen. I think if it was 62 gr and hit around same part of the brick it would have looked very simular.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    In fairness that dude sucked at field striping AR and cinder blocks kinda suck for a comparison and they didn't mention weather that was plain jane 55gr ball or 62 grain pen. I think if it was 62 gr and hit around same part of the brick it would have looked very simular.

Also the AK guy aimed at the top of the block where ti would have solid concrete so it wouldn't
    t break the middle partition.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    It would have transfered more energy in the more solid portion of the block which could cause more breaking rather then drilling a straight hole and made it look alot alike. Both are beter then 9mm and thousands of people depend on it everyday for SD.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom