How many of you carry a round in the chamber?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Round in the chamber for carry?

• Total voters

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    I keep two in the chamber just in case.
    :mamoru:
    24590ef828d5a4.jpg

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    If one is scared to the point that they need to carry a weapon the fear should be bad enough to justify one in the chamber.
    That is an interesting way of viewing the reasoning behind concealed carry of a firearm. I wonder, what makes you assume that those who carry a firearm are "scared"? Do you assume that a LEO is "scared" because they carry a firearm?

I never considered myself to be scared. Now, that doesn't mean that if I were to face a life and death confrontation that I wouldn't be scared. I know from experience that I was indeed quite scared. However, I don't walk around scared and paranoid of what might happen. Instead, I carry a firearm as a tool to deal with what might happen. For me, my CCW is like my seat belt. I insure that I have them in the event that they are needed. I am no more "scared" when I holster my firearm than I am when I buckle my seat belt.

ETA: However, I agree with your assessment that if one carries a firearm, it ought to be ready to use if needed.

Last edited:

ggamble

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    lake chuck
    no matter when on my side or in the home...ONE IN! that being said i have no kids
    and a little food for thought an attacker can close a 10 foot gap in 2 seconds...how long would it take a person to draw chamber a round point and fire. with ypur pulse up in a real world situation there is a better chance of a mistake (not getting the round chambered or after "just pulling the trigger")....that neglegent discharge thing....

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA

Not a prob nitrox. That is a nice BUG! I always keep one piped unless I'm at home. My daughter knows not to touch my guns, but she is still just 6. And not all of her friends or my relatives kids are around guns alot. Out in the field; just expect every time you see me there is a chambered round somewhere on my person.

henry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I'm no self defense expert, but I imagine when it all goes BAD, it is going to happen fast, you are going to operate on instinct, the act of loading the firearm could become frustrating under that kind of stress.
    If I'm going to make the effort to "carry", "it's loaded to the gills".

Dennis

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    laplace,louisiana
    I Allways Keep A Round Chambered In My Gun.if Anything Were To Happen Would I Have Time To Chamber A Round? My Holster Has A Flap That Blocks The Hammer From Stricking The Pin.just Like A Comdom , I Would Rather Have It And Not Need It Then To Need It And Not Have It.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I'm in the minority. I don't.

Personally, I practice drawing and chambering a bullet at the same time as I am raising the gun...seems to work fine for me.

It seems that everyone thinks that if you are ever in the situation where you "need a gun" that you'll have only a split-second to draw and shoot. For me, I don't imagine most situations will be like an old western, the quickest to draw wins. I'd be interested to see any studies/data/first-hand experiences on the subject.
    I'm ready... :exnbp:

I truly appreciate your sharing those insightful, well-reasoned opinions. In fact, I may revise my course syllabus to include your post.

I hate to admit how silly I've been in not realizing I could simply practice "drawing and chambering a bullet at the same time I am raising the gun." All this time I have been laboring under the absurd notion that I might not have two hands available to use in manipulating my handgun.

I have foolishly been concerned that one arm or hand might be injured. Or that I might need one arm to fend off a close range attacker -- or to scoop up a child if attacked by a neighbors' dog.

Now life is simple. I'll just "draw and chamber a bullet at the same time I am raising the gun.". Thanks, Mr. Bonnette.

Oh -- I'll be sure to pass along your comments to Dennis Tueller the next time I see him.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    DAWG! What seems so damn hard about this? I am sure if you would speak kindly to your attacker you could simply just ask him....... Sir, would just mind hanging on one second please. NO NO just stay right there, don't go away, you see, I have a firearm here and it is under my seat in a box, yeah that one with the combination lock, I just need to reach under the seat, UNLOCK that box, now if you would be so kind I just need to reach over to my glove box and grab a magazine so I can slide it into my SELF DEFENSE WEAPON, OH Wait hang on Mr. Attacker now I need to rack a round into the chamber!
    NOW OK, I am ready, thanks for being so kind Mr. Attacker!

JESUM PETES!!! An UNLOADED weapon and YES a weapon that does NOT have a round in the "PIPE" chamber is an UNLOADED weapon! And that my friend is a FRIKEN ROCK!!

So practice your draw and rack all you want BUT when it comes time to..... unholster/SHOOT! YOU are already going to be shitting yourself! And if you think differently,.........RETHINK!!

Now be a good boy and either load it to the HILT or put it up and carry a ROCK!!

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Well, if you don't feel safe carrying a semi auto with "one in the pipe", there's always the option of a good d.a. revolver.....no jams, no chance of stovepipes, etc....

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    For the record, I carry concealed 6+1 in my G36. However, I won't go as far as to say "you might as well have an unloaded gun" if you choose not to. It simply ain't the same thing. Over the years there's been a helluva lot of bad guys downed by guns that "might as well be unloaded"- you can bet on that.
    Having said that, this is an issue that should be thought out BEFORE a person chooses to carry a gun- especially concealed on their person. A moment of hesitation- in the wrong situation- can get you killed. If you really must soothe your need for "peace of mind", perhaps a manual safety would do the trick. If that route is taken, for God's sake drill it into the person's head to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. That added feature is something that must be deactivated during that most stressful situation we all hope & pray we never experience, but must be prepared to stand down.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    The only time it is not loaded is when I'm cleaning it. Other than that, its either on my side or on my nightstand by my bed. It is always loaded. Just point and shoot.:cool:

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    How is this even a question?

:)

On thing I have been thinking about is ONLY in the situation of a gun in the night stand, not chambering a round.

Reasoning:

It is dark and you are sleeping. Middle of the night sound, you will min most situations have time. WHat I am thinking you would avoid in that sleepy dark, panicky grab for the gun in the middle of the night inadvertently snatching the trigger and send a round in the next room and alerting the BG.

What do you think?

The only difference at night is that my holstered weapon is on the night stand next to me and not on my belt. ;)

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I don't know if this is the proper method for revising a thread, but I'm really curious as to how many members here carry loaded. Do you carry loaded? Do you know anyone who DOES NOT carry loaded and why? Me, personally... I always carry loaded.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom